Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Review: How to Make a Too Cool T-shirt Quilt



I found this book online one day and fell in love with this type of t-shirt quilt.  It's not your standard 12 t-shirts all lined up nicely in a quilt.  I love the variety and the number of t-shirts that you can incorporate in the quilt.  I was pleasantly pleased with they way Andrea T. Funk explains the entire process of making a t-shirt quilt.  She does a wonderful job describing in detail each step from picking out the t-shirts or non standard shirts all the way to different quilting options.  I believe even someone new to sewing could put this quilt together after reading this book.  Andrea also has a set of rulers that I highly recommend buying with the book.  The rulers are cut from plexiglass with a laser and they have a nice smooth lip on them.  I had decided to be frugal and have a big hardware store cut my rulers for me with the measurements that Andrea gives in the book.  The plexiglass cuts were very jagged and would have ruined my rotary cutter blade within seconds of attempting to cut.  To save yourself time and money I highly recommend you purchase the rulers with the book.  You can purchase her book and rulers on her website.

*Special Note: I did use interfacing on my t-shirts because I wanted to quilt it on my home machine.  

Rulers prior to taking the paper off of them and the book

T-shirts piled up and ready to be cut

T-shirts all cut out

T-shirts laid out prior to sewing together

Sewn t-shirts

Backing, batting and top laid out

Everything pinned together and ready to quilt

Finished Quilt








8 comments:

  1. That's really neat! I'll have to try that some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. really like it. I will have to get moving You have inspired the rush to do one yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've ordered the templates and the book. I can't wait to see how she does it without the need for interfacing. It has to be much softer when finished. I was thinking about using the interfacing that dissolves when washed but this sounds so much better. I'll let you know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see how yours turns out! I just can't imagine quilting it without the interfacing. Will you be quilting it yourself?

      Jolen

      Delete
    2. PS - You will love the templates! I just took my latest quilt top to the long arm quilters and she told me that I had the straightest quilt she has ever seen! =)

      Delete
  4. Shop for funky and fashionable cool t-shirts, Graphics T-Shirts Online India, Best T-Shirts Online in India,Cool T-Shirts Online at affordable prices with Poofed & Free shipping. Refer & win Rs 50!If You have further queries about product or services without any hassle visit website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info on the hardware store cut templates coming out jagged - you saved me time and expense there! I will now feel better about paying the extra cost for Andrea Funk's templates. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today the modern T-shirt has spawned a vast textile and fashion industry, worth over two-billion dollars to the world's retail trade. Brand t shirt

    ReplyDelete